This game is from the IM K-5 Math Program (that Grades 4 and 5 have been piloting). There are variations of this game in Investigations 3 and Bridges.
Play this game online (via TERC Investigations 3)!
- number cards (0-9), spinner (0-9), or one of the creative suggestions for alternatives to generate a random number (from the kids in 3M)
- recording sheet (you can make your own on a piece of paper or whiteboard)
- Print out a gameboard, or draw the following on a piece of paper or whiteboard.
- Spin spinner/roll dice/generate a random number.
- All players secretly decide where to place the digit in the game template.
- Take turns spinning/rolling/generating 6 more times, until all spaces are filled. You must place one digit in the “extra number” box.
- Find the value of the sum.
- Calculate your score. Your score is the distance from the target number of 1000.
- Play 5 rounds. The player with the lowest score wins.
In fourth and fifth grade, we also played Target 500, Target 750, and Target 0 (subtraction).